May 6, 2010

it's hard to get things done
with everybody playin' dumb



William Christenberry, Pure Oil Sign Alabama, 1977

* An oral history of Galaxie 500. excerpt:

Kramer: On Fire, it's a masterpiece. I love the way they captured this sense of like a longing, a desperation for love and joy, it was a search-- the way the music really matched the lyrics.

Dean Wareham: "Strange" is about waiting in line to buy Twinkies at a convenience store on Massachusetts Avenue. I ate Twinkies for dessert (at lunchtime) almost every day when I lived in Boston (at least when I was on a temp job).

Michael Azerrad (Writer): The first time I saw Galaxie 500 was at the first Knitting Factory on Houston Street in New York, somewhere around On Fire. The thing that struck me right away was Dean's very intense stage presence. He glared out at the audience like that angry teenaged kid in the original Star Trek who would make people disappear by grimacing with his eyes rolling back in his head. Then this elegant throb from Naomi, who was the picture of Zen-like poise in a slo-mo maelstrom. Damon worked up a constant oceanic wash of cymbals; he barely seemed to hit the drums and yet clearly drove the music, it was just extraordinary. I knew they were influenced by the Velvet Underground but to me it sounded like Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons doing heavy trank.

Naomi Yang: Making On Fire was a very happy experience. I think we were at a point where we were accomplished enough musicians that were able to play what we had in our head. There was a generally optimistic feeling about the direction of the band and we were getting very positive attention from the critics. It was a lot of fun and the possibilities seemed endless.

* Pretty neat: a google map noting all the places mentioned in Mountain Goats songs.

* "I quit my job just to quit. I didn't quit my job to write fiction. I just didn't want to work anymore." -- Don DeLillo

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Christenberry. Been there. Desolate. He managed to escape and lives on Macomb Street.

Just a tidbit from,

Yours truly,

Sherwood Anderson

9:53 AM  
Blogger hackmuth said...

did not know that. he's pretty much a neighbor.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, walking north on CT, turn right on Macomb just before Vace. He's a few doors down on the left. Look for his studio building with signs on the facing wall. Sherwood Anderson

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home