November 10, 2009

what comes is better than what came before


Tanya Steinberg, the entombment, 2003

* From a 1998 interview of Lou Reed:

...NYROCK
Perfect Night sounds like it’s one piece, one album. It’s almost hard to imagine that the songs span a period of over 30 years...

____....LOU:
Because I never cared for trends, that never bothered me. Music was what bothered me, what interested me. I always believed that I have something important to say and I said it. That’s why I survived because I still believe I’ve got something to say. My God is rock’n’roll. It’s an obscure power that can change your life. The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.

...NYROCK:
How about good lyrics?

____....LOU:
That also doesn’t harm.

...NYROCK:
How do you see yourself? Your role as an artist?

____....LOU:
I don’t really think about that. I’m an artist and that means I can be as egotistical as I want to be. I can concentrate on my art. I don’t really think about what the subject of my next album will be. I just know that I’m going to make another album.

...NYROCK:
You’ve always reinvented yourself. Is that one of the reasons you dislike your older albums?

____....LOU:
One of my rules is: Never listen to your old stuff. If you do that, then you’re not a musician anymore, then you’re just a self-satisfied nostalgic idiot who’s not interested in inventing anything.
I think life is far too short to concentrate on your past. I rather look into the future.

* Two songs performed by The Fall:

-- Victoria

-- U.S. 80s-90s

* "Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted." -- Aldous Huxley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home