September 4, 2009

we speak a dead language now
our rumors to the dust



Sofya Mirvis, 2009

Sofya Mirvis currently has paintings on display at KFD, located at 10805 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, Maryland, as pare of the Indifferent Post-Modern and Art Rejected by Art Gallery showcase. The opening reception is this evening from 6pm to 9pm.


Delphiniums In a Window Box
-- by Dean Young

Every sunrise, even strangers’ eyes.
Not necessarily swans, even crows,
even the evening fusillade of bats.
That place where the creek goes underground,
how many weeks before I see you again?
Stacks of books, every page, characters’
rages and poets’ strange contraptions
of syntax and song, every song
even when there isn’t one.
Every thistle, splinter, butterfly
over the drainage ditches. Every stray.
Did you see the meteor shower?
Did it feel like something swallowed?
Every question, conversation
even with almost nothing, cricket, cloud,
because of you I’m talking to crickets, clouds,
confiding in a cat. Everyone says,
Come to your senses, and I do, of you.
Every touch electric, every taste you,
every smell, even burning sugar, every
cry and laugh. Toothpicked samples
at the farmers’ market, every melon,
plum, I come undone, undone.


Keeping Things Whole
-- by Mark Strand

In a field
I am the absence
of field.
This is
always the case.
Wherever I am
I am what is missing.

When I walk
I part the air
and always
the air moves in
to fill the spaces
where my body's been.

We all have reasons
for moving.
I move
to keep things whole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home