March 23, 2009

Every so often my father comes over
for a visit he hangs his overcoat and hat
on my hat rack I brief him on recent
developments and serve us coffee
he is surprised that I like to cook
once when he made an omelette
he flipped it in the air much to my delight
and it landed on the floor yes that
was the summer of 1952, he remembered
the high breakers and how fearless
I was running into the ocean anyway
the important thing is to see you doing
so well he said and took his coat and hat
and left before I remembered he was dead

-- by David Lehman


-- in memory of William Robert Fox (July 12, 1944 - March 23, 2002). RIP

3 Comments:

Blogger sqrl said...

Condolences.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Sympathies. I know it is hard not to dwell on what could have been. -ALF-

3:53 PM  
Blogger Iburiedpaul said...

Gone but not forgotten.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home