May 10, 2005

if rock and roll dies it's not my fault



erratically recorded, ergonomically produced
drenched in the pleasures of the evening
unmastered, unregulated, unnecessary
HEARTS KINGS LIES: 12 tales of the times
by the cut ups. wdc.

including:
- no exit strategy (motherfucker)

* John Cusack on Hunter S. Thompson. in full:

"Went to Hunter S. Thompson’s memorial service in Aspen. The next day, we went to Owl Farm -- which remained untouched since Hunter’s death two weeks before. The sun was shining and gunfire echoed as friends and family gathered and shot targets on the lawn. Norman Greenbaum’s 'Spirit in the Sky' booming. Books, notes, numbers, pills, bullets, totems and talismans everywhere. Outside his wife offered liquid acid to people in the driveway. In the kitchen where he took his life, a huge American flag overlooked his suicide. He was looking right at it.

I jotted down a few things he had written and posted on the walls.

In the kitchen:

Wisdom is better than wit -- Jane Austin

The final mystery is oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul? -- Oscar Wilde

Beauty is not in the face…it is a light in the heart -- Khahlil Gibran

One changes from day to day…every few years one becomes a new being -- George Sand

And down in the basement amidst the endless archives of a lifetime, in the 'war room' where he wrote his great works:

In my own country
I am in a far off land
I am strong yet have
No force or power
I win yet remain a loser
At break of day I say goodnight
When I lie down I have a great fear of falling -- François Villion

And finally, scribbled with customary flair on a half ripped paper thumbtacked above his desk:

Beware!
the floor is slick
and greasy
And dangerous…
Get down on all fours to proceed
-- Doc

Goodbye Hunter. All the good ones seem to be moving on these days...

Here is just one of the good doctor’s final ruminations on our American experience. He sent it to me on a t-shirt a few months ago:

'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted."

* dc media girl points out this coversation between anti-abortion extremist Neal Horsley and Fox radio's Alan Colmes. excerpt:

Colmes asked Horsley about his background, including a statement that he had admitted to engaging in homosexual and bestiality sex.

At first, Horsley laughed and said, 'Just because it's printed in the media, people jump to believe it.'

'Is it true?' Colmes asked.

'Hey, Alan, if you want to accuse me of having sex when I was a fool, I did everything that crossed my mind that looked like I...'

AC: 'You had sex with animals?'

NH: 'Absolutely. I was a fool. When you grow up on a farm in Georgia, your first girlfriend is a mule.'

AC: 'I'm not so sure that that is so.'

NH: 'You didn't grow up on a farm in Georgia, did you?'

AC: 'Are you suggesting that everybody who grows up on a farm in Georgia has a mule as a girlfriend?'

NH: 'It has historically been the case. You people are so far removed from the reality... Welcome to domestic life on the farm...'

Colmes said he thought there were a lot of people in the audience who grew up on farms, are living on farms now, raising kids on farms and 'and I don't think they are dating Elsie right now. You know what I'm saying?'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home