January 26, 2004

when it's snowing, the outdoors seem like a room

* A list of books read by Art Garfunkel since 1970. [via travelers diagram]

* Interview of Chrissie Hynde. an excerpt:

"There was her on-off relationship with her great love, Ray Davies, lead singer of The Kinks, with whom she had Natalie. In the past she has talked about how she idolised Davies from afar before they met. 'I thought he was a genius,' she says. 'I recorded two of his songs, Stop Sobbing and I Go To Sleep, and they are magnificent. He wrote both of them before he was 20. He really is something.'

"Still, she left him. In the past she said they rowed a lot but maybe she just gets bored and likes to move on. When she was on tour in Australia years ago, when Natalie was a baby and she and Davies still a sort-of item, she surprised the world by going off with Kerr. By the end of the tour she was pregnant, married to another man and performing on crutches because she’d damaged her knee. 'Don’t ask,' she says. 'It was crazy.' She says she is single now but maybe she’ll meet a lovely Brazilian man in Sao Paulo.

"Is she difficult to live with? 'I suppose I must be,' she says. 'It’s hard to say because I really love all my exes. They all want me back, of course, which is how I like it. I loved them all, unless they were pissing me off. But I am a solitary person. When I’m at home I don’t play music. I don’t watch videos. I don’t chat. What is there to chat about? Films? Fashion? I have no interest in these things.'

"She says she doesn’t really like talking about the past. When I ask her about The Pretenders, she says: 'I’ve been asked about this 5,000 times. It’s all got so complicated I can’t remember the truth any more. I came over here 30 years ago because London looked cool and I fell in love with the music scene and ... that’s it really.'

"So she doesn’t think about the days she hung out with Malcolm McClaren and Vivienne Westwood and nearly married Sid Vicious in order to stay in the country? 'Not really,' she says. 'I do think about punk and why I loved it. It was great being a girl around punk because you didn’t stand out. We didn’t have stylists and videos and plastic pop stuff then. We just turned up and played and that was part of our image.'" [via the fold drop]

* Jhumpa Lahiri, who won the Pulitzer Prize for her stories, defines her beliefs about writing -- directness, simplicity, reality and emotional truth are her guideposts -- on KCRW's Bookworm program. [via maud newton]

* Tonight, in cities across the country, meetup with other local activists who are interested in grassroots organizing to persuade our members of Congress to impeach George W. Bush for high crimes and misdemeanors -- its National Impeach Bush Day. [via Jenny Miller]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home