January 30, 2004

I stood in line and ate my Twinkies

* Jean-Jacques Burnel of The Stranglers lists the 10 best 1970s songs.

* Will these old directions still direct? Apparently not, as Britain's biggest-selling hiking magazine apologized Wednesday after its latest issue contained a route that would lead climbers off the edge of a cliff on Britain's tallest peak.

* Willie Williams, the top high school football recruit from Florida, recounts his visit to Florida State University.

[via metajournalism]

an excerpt:

...But nothing impressed Williams more than when he sat down for dinner with nearly a dozen other recruits -- including Northwestern [Florida high school] cornerback Trevor Ford and Killian [Florida high school] cornerback J.R. Bryant.

''Dinner was tight,'' Williams said. `We had our own section in the restaurant, but the only thing that bugged me was that I sat all the way in the back -- so I was the last one to get my food.

`Coach Haggins told us to order as much as we wanted. I ordered a steak and a lobster tail. The lobster tail was like $49.99. I couldn't believe something so little could cost so much. The steak didn't even have a price. The menu said something about market value. I was kind of embarrassed so I didn't order a lot.

'But then I saw what the other guys were ordering, I was like, `Forget this.' I called the waiter back and told him to bring me four lobster tails, two steaks and a Shrimp Scampi. It was good. I took two boxes back with me to the hotel.''

After dinner, Williams met his tour guide -- defensive back Antonio Cromartie. But he quickly urged the coaches to find him a new one.

''That boy was on crutches,'' Williams said. `I would have had to hop around campus everywhere. Besides, I wanted somebody who played my position to take me around.''

Cromartie was immediately replaced by linebackers Ernie Sims, Willie Jones of Carol City [Florida high school] and A.J. Nicholson as well as defensive lineman Clifton Dickson of Northwestern [Florida high school].

''After dinner, we hit the clubs,'' Williams said. ``I had a great time with [fellow recruits] Xavier Carter, Xavier Lee, Aaron Jones and Kenny Ingram. All of us really bonded and had a great time. We got back late -- and we paid for it the next day.''

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home